Friday, June 15, 2007

Week 3, or is it 4, in spain


The image in the left has nothing to do with what follows. maybe it does. it is a place i was yhanging out at for a few days... The decAY is setting in fast. Today I ran that race with Vince. I had to get up at 4 AM. yesterday i attended Sonar, an all day music festival, drank profusely since noon and smoked herbal products. I got to bed at 1 AM. I woke up hungover, and not fit for racing purposes (or any other purposes for that matter). I put on my race shorts backwards, stumbled into my shirt and shoes and got out of the house. Vince was perky and well groomed at 5:00 AM, looking like he stepped out of J Crew's centerfold. i looked haggard, drunken, unshaven, amd generally unfit for good company. We proceeded to the race, a 5k with some farmaceutical gurus and doctors. There were about 200 runners. Really, only 10 - 20 looked remotely like runners. The rest was an assorted group of sweat pant banadana wearing walkman listening jawgers. Amazingly, the race was chip timed, well marked, accurate and well organized.

When the gun went off, I felt like throwing up right away but managed to keep it in. Vince darted ahead and took the head of the pack at a slightly sub six pace. I followed him, keeping my eyes on his perfectly matched ensemble. I was trying to catch up with him to work out a deal by which we would both slow down until the last quarter mile, since there was nobody immediately behind. No such luck, Vince cranked and I held on. Finally, he started slowing down after we passed the 2 mile mark and I went by him. I broke the tape (first time) in the not so fast time of 18:47.

Now its back to bed.

See yall soon,

Ed

2 comments:

JP said...

Thanks Ed for the vivid description of events leading up to and including your victorious 5K.

Clearly (as evidenced by Ed's spelling of "farmaceutical") - he believes all drugs come from "farms" -- I suspect that this derives from Ed's fondness for the herb he references.

Just for the record - Vince and his peers manufacture prescription drugs and he and his employers are not farmers.

Nice race Ed.

Ed said...

ooops. clearly spelling affected by drinking...