Friday, April 20, 2007

Good, better and ugly



Well, guys, I have "recovered" from the debacle that we'll call the Boston Marathon on Monday. Humbled am I after enduring 26.2 miles of plodding along in the Nor-easter that rolled in over the weekend. I have learned a few things over the last several days that I'll take with me (seems to be a recurring theme here). First, the good, better and ugly from this blog.




Good:


Rick is back in the "running" classification. After a 3:20 in Paris and dogging me on the lake shore yesterday, it is obvious that he's going to be in form here soon. Next job will be getting Chris back in form as well.




Better:


Ed's performance in Boston. Nothing short of amazing. Edumacated and fast.... how does he do it? Was the weather significantly different for Ed and did they take the hills out? Ed, I think you've got the equation down on how to maximize your training time for marathon benefit. Just note pictures below for drastic differences.




Ugly:


Matt.... How did I let my Arizona form go down the drain? I believe the lack of volume three weeks out along with the inability to get 2-a-days in during the last month sunk me. I pulled up to the start line in poorer shape than I should have an attempted to run the course at a sub-three pace. Fell apart after about 11 and then just plain embarrassed myself by grinding along above 730 to finish at 310. Score one for the Boston course, but paybacks are hell.














Ed Cruising in Boston

Where the "F" is that finish line?
A few lessons learned here in the last few weeks:
1. Diet matters, it really does. No more cookie, donut and sugar-loaded days for this cowboy. Lean meats, vegetables and fruit. Love Solomon's, but that's a carb load item. No cheating....
2. Know the course and make adjustments early, not late. Has been said thousands of times, but go slow at Boston early. I was on pace until about 11, which might have been too fast to begin. This mistake will not be repeated again.
3. Two a days are king. I need mileage upwards of 65-70 every week leading up to Boston until the taper.
4. Don't forget the core. It has been weeks since my last core training session and I'm certain that this affected my Boston performance. Strong core, strong body. Neither of which I have at this point.
I'm finding solace in the fact that others had subpar performances in Boston and that I'm going to be able to redoux this next year. In the meantime, I'm going to start racing again soon, Ravenswood here in 8 days, and we'll soon forget this 2007 Boston episode. For those that missed 2007, your timing was impeccible!

No comments: