Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The day after, the day after, the day after.

Since Ed was so kind to share his running secrets, I thought I would contribute mine as well. Here are "Rico Sauve's" Keys to Marathon Success:

  1. Take about 5 months off running. You don’t have to go cold turkey. Sprinkle in a few runs to make for a smoother trainistion into slothtitude. This is what I call the “weight training” phase of the program. A little more emphasis on the weight than the training.
  2. Make a couple of pathetic attempts at racing. There is nothing like public humiliation and riducule to really feel like you've hit rock bottom. My favorite was the Cary ½ Marathon where I was only able to run 4 miles (downhill!).
  3. Start your training program no less than 3 weeks prior to your big race. ;-)
  4. Oh yeah. Lot's of lemony goodness.

All joking and flippant responses to training aside, I more than ever appreciate the training we've done. The training base we've built has allowed for a relatively quick comeback. I still have quite a ways to go, but I can't wait to get back to competative shape. Also, watching the Boston Marathon Monday really stoked my motiviation. Nice work Ed & Matt!

We should all try to go under 60 for the Xtreme 10 miler. Who's with me?

No comments: